Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Wedding rings - check

Yesterday, we bought our wedding bands. !!! We went to Wedding Rings Original, which had been recommended by New York magazine and when I'd done some research, the man behind the company (Mel) really struck me as a knowledgeable and nice guy.

I finally decided to pull the trigger because I realized I just wasn't seeing what I wanted on the market, and we would have to go custom, and a) the wedding is six weeks away (!!!) and b) no amount of market research would help me imagine what a ring would look like ahead of time.

I liked this kind of look from Kay's, but they only had it in white gold and I wanted platinum:


Ok, and I am totally incapable of finding any of the 3 rings that we wound up taking attributes for to make my ring, but suffice it to say that it looks fairly similar to the Kay's ring above except a) it's platinum, b) it's super narrow -- very very thin, c) it has very small bead-set diamonds on the top, and I think the one pictured is a channel setting. Also, it's just the bottom ring, and instead of being kind of pointy, there's just a gentle curve.

Reggie's ring is similar to this one from Kay's, but in palladium -- palladium is in the platinum family, but it costs less (about the same as $18K gold) and is a naturally white color, so unlike "white" gold (which is actually yellow gold treated with a chemical) it won't ever turn yellow. It's a wide ring with a hammered look to the center, and a "comfort band" (which I think is a comfort band because the sides are rolled? Forget which one he chose.)


Mel gave us a good discount because we bought both rings at once, and considering the materials and the fact that mine had to be made custom, we were happy with the price.

No comments: