Thursday, November 6, 2008

Some decisions, finally!

OK. Announcement: I will be married on Saturday, May 30, 2009.

Be there or be square.

Where: Manor House (the old farm house)

Hotel info: Glidden House, where they're offering us $139 per night for a regular room, $215 per suite. This hotel is a great one (but for the annoying fact that they don't have shuttles to and from the airport) -- but Reg and I love the fact that it's more like a bed and breakfast (with an amazing breakfast buffet the next morning) and it's in walking distance to many of the great things that Cleveland has to offer: the Botanical Gardens, the Cleveland Art Museum, a ton of antique stores, Cleveland's Little Italy, etc.

We're trying to design a Save the Date myself -- I'll probably post it here first, but we'll send those out as soon as we can.

More decisions:
Cake: I think we picked out our cake when we were home in Cleveland, also. Cleveland had a famous bakery, for years, named Hough's ("Huffs") -- it unfortunately dissolved after the owner died (or there was some scandal with the owner's son changing the recipe and all the workers leaving to start their own bakery making Hough's cakes -- not entirely sure). But it was known for a slightly almond taste to the frosting. That is the taste of my YOUTH -- many birthday parties and other celebrations, we celebrated with a Hough's cake. Except for those times that Mom made me a Cookie Monster cake. (Thank you, Mommy!) Anyway, that is all I wanted for my cake -- it'll be very simple, white on white, with three tiers. I said: Lots of frosting. No fondant. Nothing too showy. We showed her some pictures and she sounded like she totally got it.

I'm inching towards a decision on the dress -- it totally caught me by surprise how long the delay is for a dress; really had no idea that most bridal stores only have one dress in stock at any given moment. I always heard that the main reasons weddings take so long for the planning is "because of the dress;" I always understood that to mean that women take forever to pick out their dress. NO, it is because there are people sewing and sewing and sewing in China. They could BIRTH a dress faster than this. Anyway, it's weird -- and I've told Reg this so I'll tell you also -- all of the dresses that I'm liking are very similar in the details: lace, fluid, sheath-like, simple. But the vibe is all over the place -- romantic to historical to Grandma-knit crochets to everything else. It's kind of taken me by surprise; have no idea what kind of bride I want to be.

News spreads of my weirdness: Hilariously, my grandmother is falling off her chair every time she hears the weird stuff I'm doing for my wedding. No priest? No BRIDESMAIDS?

Food: If anyone has any thoughts on food, please let me know -- that is the next thing I need to turn my attention to. I keep thinking that the filet mignon that I've had at galas at the Waldorf Astoria and Cipriani has been unmemorable, which makes me not want to try it for my wedding. I want, like, GOOD FOOD for my guests, but it's in a different place for my parents' and my budgetary priorities.

No comments: