Monday, September 22, 2008

Maid of Honor!

Well, I picked my maid of honor... and her name is: Matthew.

Yep, that's right. Decided I really didn't want a lot of wedding attendants -- but we needed someone to stand up with us.* So I called Matthew and asked if he would be my maid of honor. First question: Do I have to wear a DRESS?

(?? Seriously?)

After we established that he could wear a tux, that his official title would be "man of honor" or "bridesman," and that his primary responsibility would be holding my bouquet and Reg's ring, he seemed fine with the idea. Mom and Dad were a bit... alarmed... but they seem to be coming around.

Of course, last night Reg and I had a long talk and if St. Basil's can't marry us within the next seven or eight months, then we may as well just elope and then just have parties in Cleveland and New York. Might save a lot of problems anyway with logistics. And besides, I really really don't want to wait a long time to marry Reg. I love him, obviously ... but the best way to put it may be this: so many things in my life seem up in the air right now, but Reg is the one thing I'm ALWAYS sure of.

* Re: my not wanting a lot of wedding attendants -- the problem isn't that I don't have close friends. The problem is more that I have a LOT of close friends, from different times in my life -- I have my oldest friends, B. and T. in Cleveland -- my closest college friends, A. and M., (now in London and LA, respectively) -- my closest friends from law school -- L. (in DC), M. (in Miami), M. (in Detroit) -- and my closest friends from post-law school life, J. and N. (both in New York). This was kind of why I'm obsessed with having a small wedding -- I'd much rather all you guys come and be at the wedding, plus mine and Reg's family -- and if that's the case then who needs attendants?

5 comments:

stellou said...

I'm not going if Matthew doesn't wear a dress.

jtc said...

To my dear friend from across the Atlantic's point, maybe a compromise would be if his tux came with really wide-legged flowy pants that would look like a skirt when he stood still?

or am I not helping here?

just saying.

K said...

OK, how did I not see these comments until just now??

Maybe I can talk Matthew into it, we'll see...

MM said...

I can't wait to see Matthew holding your bouquet :)

Ris said...

I hope your parents come around! I was the "Best Woman" at my brother's wedding and I think it's a really great way to honor an opposite-sex sibling.